Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dance Q and A - Repeat Performances


Dance Q and A - Repeat Performances 121007

This question was asked in the DANCE QUEENS Q and A. I have answered it below, but please add comments from your experience ...

Repeat Performances - "I have a question about repeat performances. From everything I've read (particularly Nottoo's posts about her SOMBRA show), creating a performance is a LOT of work. How do DQ members approach repeats of a performance? Not just shows, but also single performer acts. Do you create a routine and then just file it away? Do you create a routine and then just file it away? If you do revisit it, do you revamp it before performing it again?"

Answer

I can only give you my experience and I hope others will add theirs. First, creating a show is a lot of work, but it is fun. I think of it as the ultimate in dancing. It is by far the most challenging to do because it includes so much from choreography to controlling lag to publicity. You can see from my posts about Making a Dance Show how much work is involved. Think about creating a show for the DANCE QUEENS Festival where you know there will be 30 or 40 other groups performing. The Festival is not a competition but everyone wants to shine and do their best.

Even if you do a one dance show, you have the same feeling. I WANT TO SHINE!!!

Kat Feldragone wrote a piece about advanced dancing. It's a worthwhile read especially if you are starting out in dancing.

Now to the questions ...

How do DQ members approach repeats of a performance?

When I have a new show I schedule several performances. After doing a few performances I usually make a video and post it on YouTube. I always keep the performance capability whether it is by the Huddles or Barre HUD, XPOSE, DanceMaster or some other controller. But I rarely repeat a show after a few performances. Doing a show is an exhilarating experience. I love the applause and without exception I feel a show is part of me. But, I usually give only a few performances. I think whenever I do a show, afterwards the creative juices again start to flow and I begin to think about another. I'm not as prolific as Diddy Hyun for example who can do a show every two weeks when she is motivated, but I dream of the next show ... something new and exciting.

Do you create a routine and then just file it away?

Yes, but I also make a video for YouTube or I get Riddle to do it. Isn't it great to have a lover with talent? If it is an individual show I also make a dance sequence and use it when I dance in clubs.

If you do revisit it, do you revamp it before performing it again?

I don't revamp. It's too much work and usually I already am thinking of the next show.

xxx
Nottoo