PREPARE for One Amazing Adventure… ExtravaDanza Exodus is Ready to Embark!!
Anyone who has been involved with the Second Life Dance Community for a while knows who SexyS Quintessa is. She is the quintessential SEXYS, dancing queen in both lives, and iconic SL dancer. SexyS has been dancing in SL since before there really was such a thing as formal SL dance shows. Being a real life belly dancer, she sought out belly dance clubs in-world. Finding a club called Little Egypt owned by a man named Terry, she danced as a stripper for a long time. She then went to dance for that notorious dawg Naiki Muliaina at Blue Moon Cabaret, doing variety shows that included burlesque, cabaret, and comedy. She bought a Huddles upon advice from a friend and collected dance animations for a year before another friend, Jaida Bayn, found and introduced her to Nottoo Wise and Dance Queens. "My friend Jaida Bayn found Dance Queens group and was speaking to Notto Wise about the Huddles dance HUD. So between Dance Queens group and Jaida, we figured out how to do sequences!" SexyS attributes her dance journey to these key figures early in her Second Life. "I can go on and on about my dance career, so I will leave you with this... Blue Moon Cabaret changed my focus on SL for the better. Thank you to the flea bag, Mags and Jaida!"
About a year and a half ago, The Sexy One started her own dance troupe. She was at a place in her SL dance career where she was feeling lost and unsure what to do with herself. I had a LEA sim back then, to do the sim-wide mega-show SuperMetropolis, which was Diawa Bellic's idea. So I told Ms. Sexy to start her own troupe and do a spectacular sim-wide Christmas show. What are friends for, if they are not for getting you neck-deep into work. Well, she did just that! Reflecting back to that beginning, SexyS said, "So with you holding my hand and Royal Shippe back in SL and ready to build stuff, we were on our way on a sleigh ride! With Diawa Bellic's idea of a sim wide production, we did our first show. Christmas ExtravaDanza! And how our name came to be is, you wrote up an advertisement naming it 'Christmas Extravaganza'. I thought, 'Ooohhh what about ExtravaDanza!'" A troupe was born. One that has gained fame for producing massive, over-the-top mega-shows full of fun, magic, and adventure, led by the whimsical, fastidious, outrageously creative SexyS Quintessa. Her imagination never disappoints.
Earlier this year, Sexy was granted a LEA sim to do a sim-wide mega-production of Exodus, the story of Moses. What the heck? Where did THAT idea come from?!? "Royal Shippe mentioned one time I should do a Moses act with parting of the sea. It stuck on me for a while. We were actually supposed to do this last year, but it was at a time where I wanted to take some time off of SL. So last year, I felt I should do this sim-wide production of Exodus, and apply for the LEA sim. If I get it great, I will spend all my time and energy on it. If not, I'll take another sabbatical. I’m glad I got the grant because it’s been a dream for years!”
It is a dream that is about to become a reality. SexyS has been working relentlessly on the sim-wide build, doing most of the work on the main build herself. If you ever wanted to visit Egypt, now is the time, because it looks astonishing. It has all the rugged beauty of the desert, the majesty and glory of the pyramids and amazing construction of ancient Egypt, plus all the wonderment of Moses and his marvellous journey. One does not have to be religious to enjoy this show, as it is not about religion. Sexy explained it is about, “An amazing journey. It’s not a religious show at all. I wanted it to be more about the stories and emotions behind them. And you will definitely get that.” It is about people, history, human nature.
To bring this dream to fruition has not been easy. There have been many challenges along the way, the primary one being the boats. Yes, the boats! Hey, there is the river NILE! And the audience will be sailing down it, from set to set, performance to performance. Sexy found her biggest challenge with this show was, determining where each set would go in relation to the route of the boats. Enter one “Yummy” Lat Lovenkraft to save the show! “I have to say with the help of Yummy and the Artiste HUD, we are getting that done! We will also have cams. The biggest complaint about our last sim-wide show was where to look. So this time, our audience will have a choice to use the cams.”
Thank you Yummy! And thanks to many others who have contributed to pulling a show of this calibre together. Any show is a team effort, especially one this monumental. Sexy said, “Putting on a show, there is no way to do it on your own. I've had plenty of help. Myth [Raven] has created our gorgeous poster advertisement, Ame [Amethyst Starostin] will be DJing for us again!! Fuki [Fukuju Amaterasu] has helped with some terraforming, and held my hand. You have helped with marketing, acts, and getting me motivated, and support when I need it, and verbiage, LOL. Yummy [Lat Lovenkraft] helped with the Artiste and the boat route and the cams. Chandra [Meehan] for taking time out of her busy life to make the outfit for my act. Royal [Shippe] and Diiar [Vadar-Shippe] for helping out on sim design, landing point, and other stuff. Diawa [Bellic] for being Diawa, LOL.” Somehow, I don’t think many hands making for light work applies to this show, because with a show this major, there is no such thing as light work. But this team is dedicated, everyone working hard to do their part in creating something magnificent, a show that will be remembered for years to come.
The long hours, expense, and exhausting effort is not a bad thing, however! As the time gets closer for the first big show, the excitement increases. There is a vibe in the air, one of anticipation and wonderment as the moment arrives when Ms. Quintessa will finally fully realize her long-time dream. Her favourite part of developing this project? “I think it’s been watching each set come to life! I will be even more excited when I get to see it all together!” She continued, revealing what it is that she finds so appealing about doing these monster-shows. “I’ve always tried to think outside the box with every act I have done. I like different. I like outside the box. So why not present something different. No one has done Exodus.”
And it is so true. SexyS Quintessa has consistently presented the unique, the unusual, the outrageous, delighting audiences for years with some of the most entertaining acts to ever be conferred on the Second Life grid. She is famous and infamous at the same time, pulling off this double feat with remarkable ease. When I first entered mainstream dance three and a half years ago, SexyS had been dancing in mainstream for years. She immediately became one of my idols, and to this day remains a dancer I hold in very high regard. One thing I know I can count on, when SexyS takes the stage, it is going to be good. Captivating, enchantment, hilarious, mesmerizing… the woman makes her audience FEEL. Every time.
ExtravaDanza Exodus opens Friday, April 1st at 9pm SLT. The show dates and times are as follows, catering to audiences in most time zones at one show or another:
Friday, April 1st at 9pm SLT
Saturday, April 2nd at 1pm SLT
Friday, April 8th at 9pm SLT
Saturday, April 9th at 1pm SLT
And who can you expect to see at the show? Let’s take a look at the lineup!
1. Chandra Meehan will be up first with her interpretation of the slaves in bondage.
2. Sexys Quintessa, with the scene of when the princess finds baby Moses in the river. Sexy commented on her act that she will be, “Bringing some original ideas to life that I've had set back in my mind for years. Watch out, we will be wearing an outfit Chandra made specifically for my act!!!!”
3. Monavie Voight, doing the betrayal of the Pharaoh where Moses gets banished.
4. BabypeaVonPhoenix Bikergrrl will be doing her interpretation of when Moses finds a wife. Says Sexy with a smile, “She had this act done since last year! Lol.”
5. Winnie [Winniefred] will be “Mossette” and the burning bush!! Sexy exclaims, “This is SL anything is possible!”
6. Diiar Vader will dance the astonishing ten plagues. Sexy comments, “I originally wanted to do this one as well, but as time moved on I felt I needed to pass it on to someone. And I am so glad I did!!”
7. Babypea will do another act where the queen is upset her son is dead. Raving at the Pharaoh!
8. Royal Shippe does the parting of the Red Sea. Who else could pull this off in Second Life? Sexy beams, “Talk about a dramatic scene!!! Oh just you wait!!”
8. Last but not least, Diawa Bellic with her extreme interpretation of we hen Moses comes down from the mountains, only to find that everyone is going hog-wild. Debauchery, worshipping a golden idol. AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENS HERE!!!! Sexy reveals, “This is where you - the audience - will disembark the boat and be a part of our show!!! So wear your best Egypt slave gear, LOL!”
There are also a whole mob of backup dancers, including Amethyst Starostin, Zachbrig, Gunner von Phoenix, JMB Balogh, Myth Raven, Fukuju Amaterasu, AlessandraAllure, SaviourBreath, Shannon Jassen, Arabella Luminos, DiamonteThomas, Shayna Paine, and Oodlemi Noodle.
Make sure to come early to guarantee a seat, as seating is limited! To best enjoy this show:
1. Come with no scripts on.
2. NO face lights please!
3. There are sets that are further away than the normal, so set draw distance to about 128m at least.
4. Also, make sure your LOD is set to 4 or higher. Many of the sets are made of mesh.
5. Make sure you choose to use region Windlight settings, as this will change from set to set and is part of the production.
6. Please go into Graphics, untick Avatar Impostors, and set the max # of impostor avatars to around 40.
7. Please turn off nametags, they will only ugly your view.
8. Wear your favourite Egyptian or slave outfit!
Please visit the sim between shows, enjoy the build, roleplay, take fabulous pictures, and have fun with this amazing creation!!